Penne spicy tomato sauce
Member recipe by markely63
This is a simple and tasty pasta recipe - perfect for students. Add more or less chilli to taste.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 x 400g/14oz can chopped tomatoes
- splash red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- small bunch fresh basil leaves, torn
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 x 125g/4ÃÂ½oz ball fresh buffalo mozzarella, crumbled
- 400g/14oz dried penne pasta, cooked according to packet instructions, drained
- grated parmesan, to serve
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and fry for 4-5 minutes, or until softened and beginning to colour.Add the garlic and chilli and continue to fry for 1-2 minutes
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes, red wine vinegar, tomato purÃÂ©e, a splash or two of Tabasco (to taste), sugar and half of the basil leaves, and stir well. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, then continue to simmer for 18-20 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened and reduced in volume.
- Just before serving, stir the crumbled mozzarella into the spicy tomato sauce. Stir the drained pasta into the sauce.
- To serve, divide the pasta and sauce equally among four serving plates. Sprinkle over the remaining torn basil leaves and the grated parmesan.