Honey Chicken & Date Tagine
Member recipe by newzealandhoneyco
- 1 large whole chicken
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp New Zealand Honey Co Thyme Honey
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup dried dates
- 2 sprigs of fresh mint leaves
- Cut the chicken into 6 equal pieces and then rub in the paprika and turmeric. Let the chicken sit while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the butter, olive oil, diced onions, coriander, cumin and sliced lemon to a frying pan and sautÃÂÃÂ© for 3 minutes.
- Brown the chicken pieces in the same frying pan for 2 minutes on each side, then place the chicken in the tagine base.
- Turn off the heat and add the honey, roughly chopped garlic cloves, dried dates and mint leaves and season. Stir and then add this to the tagine base, before adding two cups of water. Season with cracked black pepper and place the tagine lid onto the base.
- Turn oven to 160 degrees and bake for 3 hours.
- If you are using an earthen tagine, it is important to bring the oven and tagine up to heat together i.e.: do not place tagine in a hot oven. If you are using a tagine with a cast iron base, you can prepare using that on the stove top and put it straight into a pre heated oven. If you do not have a tagine, you can follow the recipe above exactly and use an earthen or ceramic casserole dish instead.