Smoked Salmon Roll
Member recipe by gunner510
A classy smoked salmon starter recipe with a delicious dressing - a perfect way to start a dinner party.
- 100g Scottish smoked salmon trimmings
- 1/2 egg white
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3 x 1.5g gelatine leaves
- 25ml brandy
- 284ml carton double cream
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 8 long slices of Scottish smoked salmon
- Peeled cucumber strips, lemon and olive oil dressing and fresh dill, to serve
- Put the salmon trimmings into a food processor and whizz for 1 minute. Add the egg white, cayenne pepper and some salt and whizz for a few seconds more. Chill the mixture for 10 minutes in the processor bowl.
- Meanwhile, soak the gelatine leaves in cold water for 4 minutes. Warm the brandy in a small pan. Lift the gelatine out of the water, add to the brandy and leave to dissolve. Keep warm.
- Return the processor bowl to the machine and, with the motor running, slowly add the cream, then the brandy. Transfer to a bowl and gradually beat in the lemon juice. Season and chill for up to 1 hour, until softly set and holding its shape.
- Put 1 slice of smoked salmon on a piece of cling film. Spoon some of the mousse along 1 short edge, carefully roll up and wrap in the cling film. Repeat with the remaining salmon. Chill for 1 hour to firm up.
- To serve, unwrap the salmon rolls and put onto plates. Pile some cucumber strips alongside. Drizzle with a lemon and olive oil dressing and garnish with dill.