- 4 boneless mackerel fillets (about 75g/2½ oz each), thawed if frozen
Mackerel is a firm-fleshed, torpedo-shaped sea fish. Whole mackerel weigh in around 10-12oz (…
- ½ tsp smoked paprika (see tips below)
- 2 oranges, segmented (see tips below)
One of the best-known citrus fruits, oranges aren't necessarily orange - some varieties are…
- 1 large shallot, very finely sliced
Related to the onion (as opposed to being a younger version of it), shallots grow in clusters at…
- 50g pitted black kalamata olive, roughly chopped
- ½ x 20g pack flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It's…
- new potatoes and green beans, to serve (optional)
New potatoes have thin, wispy skins and a crisp, waxy texture. They are young potatoes and…
Rub the fillets on both sides with the paprika and a little salt, then set aside. Mix the orange segments with the shallot, olives, parsley and a good grinding of black pepper.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the mackerel on both sides for 2-3 mins. Serve with the salsa and some new potatoes and green beans, if you like.
TipIf you can’t find smoked paprika, use a small pinch of mild chilli powder instead.
TipTo segment oranges: sit orange on a chopping board, slice off the top and bottom, then cut in downward strokes to remove all the peel and pith. Cut each segment free by slicing between the membranes.