Surry lardie cake
Member recipe by davet1976
ServingsServes 1 - 12 Portions
- 450 Gram Plain flour (1 lb)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 25 Gram Lard, or butter (1 oz)
- 15 Gram Fresh yeast (1/2 oz)
- 1 Teaspoon Caster sugar
- 300 ml Warm water (10 fl oz)
- 50 Gram Lard or butter (2 oz)
- 50 Gram Caster sugar (2 oz)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground mixed spice
- 25 Gram Currants (1 oz)
- Mix the flour and salt and rub in the lard or butter. Cream the yeast with the sugar, then stir in the water. Make a well in the flour then, when the yeast is frothy, stir it in. Mix well then turn out on to a floured surface. Knead, cover and leave in a warm place until the dough has doubled in bulk.
- Knead again. Roll out into a rectangle 5 mm (1/4 inch) thick. Mix the sugar and spice. Spread the dough with one third of the fat and sprinkle on one third of the sugar mixture. Fold the dough into three, half turn and press the edges together. Roll again.
- Repeat the process twice more, sprinkling the currants over the sugar mixture on the final rolling. Roll out and cut into 7-10 cm (3-4 inch) rounds. Score with a knife and place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and leave to rise in a warm place for about 20 minutes. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove them from the oven and brush the tops with milk while warm to give a sheen.