Strawberry Meringue Roulade
Member recipe by wendy_frier
My Mums favourite - a melt in the mouth meringue roulade filled with strawberries with a hint of almond and amaretti
- 4 large egg whites
- 225g caster sugar
- 100g amaretti biscuits, crushed
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds
- 300ml double cream
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 300g strawberries hulled - half 6 and chop the rest
- To decorate:
- 6 amaretti biscuits broken in half
- 50g white chocolate - melted
- Preheat oven to 220 c. Grease and line a 23 x 33cm swiss roll tin with parchment. Whisk egg whites until stiff, then whisk in the caster sugar 1 tablespoon at a time until the mixture is stiff and glossy. Fold in the crushed biscuits using a large metal spoon and a figure of eight action
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and roughly level with the back of a knife. Sprinkle over the flaked almonds and bake near the top of the oven for 10 minutes until golden. Then reduce the oven temperature to 170 c and bake for 10 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Remove the meringue from the oven and carefully trim off any overlapping edges, (although I like the rustic look myself) Turn out onto a sheet of greaseproof paper and carefully peel the parchment lining from the base. Leave the meringue to cool for 5 minutes.
- Whisk the cream until sofly peaking and then fold in the icing sugar and spread over the meringue. Then scatter the chopped strawberries over the cream and roll up the meringue, starting at the long end - dont panic as when you start to roll it will crack, but have confidence
- Place on a serving plate and then decorate with the strawberry halves and amaretti biscuits alternating down the centre of the roulade. Melt the white chocolate and either with a fork or a piping bag trickle chocolate trails all over the top of the strawberries, biscuits and down sides of roulade. Leave in fridge to set.