Pesto mozzarella in carrozza
Member recipe by leoniecourt
Melting mozzarella with pesto encased in crispy fried bread parcels.
- 8 slices white bread with crusts removed
- 4 tsp pesto
- 1 ball mozzarella, sliced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp extra vergin olive oil
- Spread 1 tsp pesto onto 4 of the slices of bread. Divide the mozzarella between these slices and sandwich them together with the remaining bread.
- Season the beaten eggs and pour half of this mixture onto a plate.
- Heat a frying pan with 1 tbsp olive oil. Soak two of the sandwiches in the egg on both sides and place in the hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides and place on a serving plate.
- Pour the remaining egg mixture onto the plate and repeat the process with the remaining two sandwiches.
- Variations: Add parma ham to the sandwiches or use sunblush tomatoes instead of pesto.