Member recipe by wendy2705
This works will in the slow cooker and is even better if cooked the day before. Excellent for Dinner Parties
- 900g good quality Braising Steak with a marbling of fat
- Olive Oil
- 60g Butter
- 1-2 Red Onions, thinly sliced
- Small bag Pickling Onions or Shallots, peeled
- 3 cloves of Garlic, crushed
- Plain Flour
- 250g Pancetta (ideally in one piece) or smoked Streaky Bacon, diced
- 125g Chestnut Mushrooms, chopped into quarters
- Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Bay Leaf
- A few sprigs of fresh Thyme
- 1 bottle Red Burgandy (or any full bodied red)
- 150ml good quality Beef Stock
- flat leaf Parsley, chopped
- 3 tbsp Brandy (Optional)
- Preheat the oven to 275F, 140C, 130 Fan, Gas Mark 1.
- Cut the beef into 2inch generous chunks and coat with seasoned plain flour
- Over a high heat add a couple of tsps olive oil to a heavy based pan, and briefly brown the meat in batches, remove meat from pan.
- Add the Red onion and pancetta and brown a little (approx 5 mins), then add a good tblsp of flour and mix well. Next add the garlic BUT DO NOT BURN. Return the browned beef to the pan. Gradually add the wine until it almost covers the meat.
- Add the stock, herbs, seasoning and brandy, stir and cook for at least 2 and half hours. Half an hour before the end of cooking add the mushrooms
- When ready sprinkle with parsley and serve with either mashed pototoes and green beans or my favourite potato Dauphinoise and brocolli and cauliflower mixed.