Member recipe by pagey81
- 500g of lean minced beef / steak
- 2 onions
- 2 peppers (any colour)
- 3 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1 can of kidney beans (drained)
- 2 beef oxo cubes (crushed up)
- 4 cloves of garlic (finely chopeed / crushed)
- 1/3 of a tube of tomatoe puree
- large dash or worchestershire sauce
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of celery salt
- 4-6 tsp of crushed chillis - depending on how hot you like your chilli
- 3 tsp of cumin
- 1-2 tsp of olive oil (if using a lid then you can use less)
- 1 standard packet of lasagne sheets
- Approx 1 pint of cheese sauce (packet or home made)
- Approx 200 g of grated cheese
- 1 jar of chopped jalapenos
- Chop the onions and peppers and fry with the olive oil. Once soft add the mince and fry until brown. Drain off excess fat if required.
- Add to the mince the tomoatoes, kidney beans, oxo cubes, garlic, tomatoe puree, worchestershire sauce, salt, celery salt, chillies, cumin and slowly bring to the boil, stiring every few minutes.
- Drop the heat and simmer for at least 20 minutes, the longer you simmer for the thicker the sauce will become, stirring every few minutes. Taste the mixture and decide if you would like to add more seasoning. Then remove from the heat. Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Prepare the cheese sauce.
- Using a large and deep lasagne bowl layer the bottom with lasagne sheets, spoon on half the mince mixture to cover the sheets, then pour a thin layer of the cheese sauce.
- Add another layer of lasagne sheets, then the remainder of the mince mixture and another thin layer of cheese sauce.
- Add a top layer of lasagne sheets and cover with the remainder of the cheese sauce. Cover then with a full layer of grated cheese then spread the jalapenos across the top.
- Place into the pre heated over for approximately 40 minutes or until the cheese starts to turn golden brown.