- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It's…
- ½ onion, finely chopped
Onions are endlessly versatile and an essential ingredient in countless recipes. Native to Asia…
- 1 tsp smoked paprika, plus a little extra
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
Sweet potatoes have a creamy texture and a sweet-spicy flavour that makes them ideal for savoury…
- 140g red lentil
- 3 thyme sprigs, leaves chopped, plus a little extra to decorate (optional)
This popular herb grows in Europe, especially the Mediterranean, and is a member of the mint…
- 500ml low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- pitta bread and vegetable sticks, to serve
Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and cook slowly until soft and golden. Tip in the paprika and cook for a further 2 mins, then add the sweet potato, lentils, thyme and stock. Bring to a simmer, then cook for 20 mins or until the potato and lentils are tender.
Add the vinegar and some seasoning, and roughly mash the mixture until you get a texture you like. Chill for 1 hr, then drizzle with olive oil, dust with the extra paprika and sprinkle with thyme sprigs, if you like. Serve with pitta bread and vegetable sticks.