Authentic Swiss Cheese Fondue
Member recipe by patrickhorton
- Per person:
- 1/3 head of garlic (yes, 1/3 head!)
- 1 100ml glass of dry white wine (Graves or Chablis)
- 200g swiss cheese (mix of Gruyere, Comte or Cantal)
- 1 tsp Kirsch
- 1 knife point of bicarbonate of soda
- Plain flour to sprinkle
- Crusty white baguette to serve
- Leave the garlic cloves whole and warm together with the white wine in a large heavy cast iron saucepan or cheese fondue pan. Do not boil.
- Grate the cheese and sprinkle with the flour. Mix it well and add to the pan.
- Stir well until the cheese is melted.
- Mix the kirsch with the bicarbonate of soda and add to the cheese at the end of cooking.
- Serve with crusty baguette sliced into 3cm slices and quartered. Keep the pan on a low heat to ensure the cheese remains melted. Don't drink beer with fondue!