- 50g couscous
Consisting of many tiny granules made from steamed and dried durum wheat, couscous has become a…
- 500g extra lean minced beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
Onions are endlessly versatile and an essential ingredient in countless recipes. Native to Asia…
- 2 tsp mixed dried herbs
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- ¼ tsp hot chilli powder
- 6 slices French bread (we used campagne longue, a larger version of a baguette)
- 6 tsp Dijon mustard
- 175g roasted red pepper from a jar, cut into large pieces (choose ones in brine, or rinse them if they're packed in oil)
- a couple of handfuls of rocket
Rocket is a very 'English' leaf, and has been used in salads since Elizabethan times. It…
Tip the couscous into a medium bowl, pour over 75ml/21⁄2fl oz boiling water and leave it for a few minutes to swell and absorb all the water. Add the mince, onion, dried herbs, chives and chilli powder then grind in plenty of salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly then shape into 6 oval burgers – slightly larger than the bread slices.Cover with foil and chill until ready to cook. (Can be made up to 24 hours ahead.)
Preheat the grill or barbecue then cook the burgers for 5-6 minutes on each side, or more if you like them well cooked.
Grill or lightly toast the slices of bread and spread with mustard. Top with the peppers, rocket and a burger and serve.