Beef and beetroot casserole
Member recipe by sonofabob
ServingsServes 1 - 4 Portions
- 1kg lean braising steak, cut into 4cm cubes, discarding any fat
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions chopped
- 4 rashers bacon chopped
- 1 heaped tbsp plain flour
- 300ml red wine
- 200ml beef stock
- 1tbsp clear honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 allspice berries
- salt and pepper
- 200g pack cooked whole chestnuts
- 250g pack cooked beetroot in natural juices, not pickled
- Heat oven to 170/150, gas mark 3
- Heat the oil in a deep ovenproof pan (with a lid), and brown the beef in batches. Remove from the pan
- Fry the onions and bacon in the same pan for 5 mins
- Return the beef to the pan and sprinkle over the flour. Stir and cook until thickened.
- Add the wine and stock, then bring to the boil.
- Add the honey, cinnamon stick, allspice berries and season well.
- Put lid on and place in the oven for 1.5 hours.
- Halve any large beetroots then add to the dish along with the chestnuts. Add more stock if needed, then cook for a further 30 mins
- Serve and enjoy :)