Baked Fennel in Tomato Sauce
Member recipe by lanapolitana
Sweet and barely spicy baked fennel in a delicious tomato sauce and cheese
- 1 large fennel bulb, remove stalks and greens
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small carrot, minced
- 1 celery stalk, minced
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Fontina or Gruyere cheese
- Put a pan of salted water on to boil. Trim the fennel tops, then cut into wedges. Boil for 6-8 minutes or until tender. Drain well. When cool, arrange in an ovenproof baking dish.
- Add the olive oil to a hot saute pan and cook on medium heat the carrot, celery, and shallot until barely golden. Add the thyme, red pepper flakes, tomato sauce, salt and pepper and cook about 3-5 minutes. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed.
- Cover the fennel with the sauce and top with the cheeses. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 180C until the cheese has melted and the top is golden.