Member recipe by barmary
For me this is the ultimate cuppa. It is what women across India make whenever they have friends coming over for a break or a chat. It offers solace and comfort and is invigorating and relaxing all at the same time.
- 350ml/12fl oz water
- 100ml/3ÃÂ½fl oz milk
- 4 black peppercorns
- 10 green cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- good pinch green fennel seeds
- small piece cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and roughly sliced
- 1 tea bag
- sugar, to taste
- salt, to taste (optional)
- Heat the water and milk in a pan with the spices and ginger until it comes to the boil. Turn the heat down and cook over a low to medium heat for 15 minutes. Be careful as the milk can easily rise and boil over
- Once the volume is reduced to a large cupful, add the teabag and let it brew for one minute, or longer if you like strong tea.
- To serve, strain into a cup and add sugar or salt if using, to taste.