Drunken Berries & Panettone
Member recipe by sweetunique
- 750ml good red wine (such as shiraz viognier)
- 1 1/3 cups (300g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 3 star anise
- 2 vanilla beans, split lengthways and scraped
- 2 lemons, rind grated finely and juiced
- 700g mixed berries of your choice (such as hulled strawberries, blueberries, youngberries, mulberries and/or blackberries)
- ½ large (375g) panettone
- 250g mascarpone, to serve
- Combine the wine, sugar, cinnamon, star anise, vanilla bean and lemon rind and juice in a medium saucepan; stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 minutes or until the liquid has reduced by a third and is syrupy.
- Place the berries in a heatproof bowl and pour the syrup over. Cover and refrigerate until cooled to room temperature.
- To serve, preheat grill on high. Slice the panettone into two 4cm-thick slices. Cut each slice into 6 wedges and place the wedges on an oven tray. Toast for 1-2 minutes each side or until golden brown.
- Place the panettone in shallow bowls. Spoon over the berries and the syrup and top with a good dollop of the mascarpone.