Farmhouse Christmas Cake
Member recipe by sweetunique
I adapted a basic melt-in method farmhouse fruit cake to make it more seasonal & less rich than traditional recipes.
- 16oz Mixed Fruit
- 2oz Cherries
- 8oz Sugar
- 8oz Marg or Butter
- 1/3pt water
- 2 Eggs
- 16oz Self-Raising Flour
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Mixed Spice
- 2 tbsp Brandy
- 2 tbsp Mincemeat
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- Place fruit, sugar, marg, brandy and water in a pan, simmer slowly for 20 mins. Add spices and mincemeat, cover and allow to cool.
- Add beaten eggs, stir in nutmeg, spices, cherries (lightly coat cherries with flour first so they dont sink) then stir in baking powder and flour.
- Turn into a greased 9 or 10 inch baking tin.
- Bake in moderate oven 150c for about 1hr 45mins to 2 hrs. half way through baking cover cake with baking foil so not to brown too much.
- Turn out (top side up) onto a wired rack to cool.
- I frost or cover with fondant white icing, wrap a seasonal ribbon round the base leaving a big bow on the front then decorate with fondant stars & dust with edible glitter.