Christmas Zingy Mincemeat
Member recipe by acharge1
ServingsServes 1 - 1 Litre
- 110ml Rum
- 260g Raisins
- 390g Sultanas
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon and 1/2 Orange
- Zest of 1 Lemon and 1 Orange
- 200g Shredded Vegetable Suet
- 260g Dark Brown Sugar
- 90g Mixed Peel
- 50g Blanched Almonds - chopped
- 50g Dried Cranberries (optional)
- 1 Cooking Apple
- Put the raisins and sultanas in a large bowl and pour in the rum and lemon juice. Mix very well ensuring all fruit is soaked, then cover with clingfilm and leave for 1hr 15mins until plump.
- Once soaked drain the fruit and tip into a bowl keeping the rum mix to one side. Then add to the fruit the Zest, Suet and Sugar and mix well. Add the mixed peel, almonds and cranberries and mix again. Then squeeze over the orange juice and pour the remaining rum mix over. Mix well.
- Spoon into sterilised jars, and ensure the mixture is packed down well so as not to trap any air. Cover and seal. The mixture will keep roughly 6 months if kept in a fridge.