Member recipe by plums1
- 2 egg yolks
- 40g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod (not essential but does taste nice)
- 250g tub of mascarpone cheese
- About 15 to 20 sponge fingers (they could be called Savoiardi in some shops)
- strong black coffee, sweetened - about 3-4 espresso cups
- Wine glassful of booze of your choice - Tia Maria, marsala wine, Amaretto, even brandy would work (but I'd use less of that)
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar together with an electric whisk until moussey and creamy looking.
- Add vanilla seeds which you have scraped out of the pod.
- Add mascarpone and beat again.
- Gradually add the alcohol and keep whisking until it looks nice and shiny and thick - don't make it too runny. Save some of the booze to put in the coffee mixture - about 2 - 3 tbs
- Pour the coffee and remaining alcohol into a shallow bowl and briefly dip the sponge biscuits in to soak up the mixture. Put a layer of these in a bowl or deep dish. Layer with the cream mixture until all used up.
- Sprinkle some cocoa powder or grated dark chocolate over the top if you like, to make it look pretty. Stick in the fridge for a couple of hours until it's firmer.