Member recipe by meatfeast
- Two beef rump steaks (~330g each)
- 500g potatoes (Peeled and roughly chopped into ~1 inch square chunks)
- 1 Leek (~150g) (Finely chopped)
- 1 Large white Onion (Finely chopped)
- 1 Small red Onion (Finely chopped)
- 4 cloves of Garlic (Finely chopped)
- 70-100ml cream (or whole milk)
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Salt + Pepper
- Olive oil
- Sunflower oil
- Hazelnut oil (optional)
- 50g Cheddar cheese or 30g Parmesan
- Massage the steak with salt and pepper then add to a container with 2 tbsp Olive oil and 1 tbsp of Hazelnut oil (substitute 1tbsp of Olive oil if not using Hazelnut oil). Place to one side and leave to marinade. Leave to marinade for at least 15 mins before cooking.
- Pre-heat oven to 150C.
- Place the prepared potatoes into a saucepan and fill with boiling water so they are just covered. Cook on a rolling boil for 15-20 mins until they fall apart when pushed against the side of the saucepan.
- While the potatoes are cooking place a frying pan on a medium heat with some Sunflower oil and a dash of Hazelnut oil. When warm add the finely chopped leek, onions and garlic and cook until soft.
- Also while the potatoes cook take another frying pan and add a few lugs of sunflower oil and put on a med-high heat. When hot add the two steaks and cover. Cook for 5-7 mins per side (depending on thickness) or slightly less cooked than personal preference. Then leave to rest for a few minutes before cutting into ~1cm pieces. Drain juices into Tupperware container.
- When the potatoes are cooked take off the heat and drain. Mash potatoes, slowly adding the cream until smooth. Add mustard, cheese and steak juices then stir. Mix in onion, leek and garlic. Then add the chopped steak and stir in.
- Place the mixture in an ovenproof dish and place in oven for 10 minutes. Use higher temp (180C) if you want a more crispy top. Cheese topping is optional.