Fruity Chicken Rice
Member recipe by davidson
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 2cm piece fresh root ginger - peeled & grated or chopped
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick, halved
- 280g basmati rice
- 1 litre hot chicken stock
- 85g ready to eat dried apricots - chopped
- 50g sultanas
- 100g frozen peas
- Cook onion, ginger and chicken in the oil in a large pan for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until onion is beginning to brown.
- Add cumin, turmeric and cinnamon and cook for 1 minute. Tip in rice and cook for a further minute, stirring to coat all the ingredients.
- Pour in the stock, add the apricots and sultanas and cook for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the rice and chicken are cooked. Cover the pan for the last 5 minutes, stir in the peas about 3 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- All the liquid should have been absorbed by the time the rice is cooked.
- Season to taste and serve with naan bread or poppadums and mango chutney.