Member recipe by mokeefe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, cubed
- 400 g spinach
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic clove, coarsley chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- olive oil
- Fry the cumin seeds in a heavy bottomed pan in a bit of oil and butter until just starting to brown.
- Add the onion and fry until it too starts to brown.
- Add the potato, garlic, turmeric, ginger and garam masala and fry until the potato starts to soften.
- Unless you are using a non-stick pan, you may need to add water and cover to keep the potato from sticking and to help it cook. The first time I did this 1/2 cup at a time and it took about 20-30 minutes but I now prefer to parboil the potatoes, which means you add less water and it only takes about 10 minutes to finish off from this point.
- Add the spinach or chard and cook until it collapses over the potato and season to taste.