Lentil and vegetable soup
Member recipe by washingtonwench
A thick, hearty soup that can be served as a main course with crusty bread
- 4 large carrots, diced
- 1 small swede, diced
- 3 leeks chopped into thin rings
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed (optional)
- 6 sticks of celery, diced
- 1 medium sized butternut squash, diced
- 3 cans of beans, drained i.e haricot, pinto, butter, borlotti
- 350g lentils, washed and drained
- 1tsp dried thyme
- 1tsp dried rosemary
- 1tsp dried oregano
- 1tsp dried coriander
- 3 chicken or vegetable stock cubes
- 2l boiling water
- Dash of worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and dice all vegetables and thoroughly wash leeks to remove any grit.
- Place all ingredients except beans and lentils into a large stock pot, cover and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender (approx 25 minutes).
- Add washed and drained lentils to the pot and stir well. Check and stir at 10 minute intervals so lentils don't stick to the base of the pot.
- Cook until lentils are soft (approx 25 minutes) then add drained beans. Stir well and continue cooking to produce a thick soup. Can be served immediately with crusty bread although the flavour improves if served the next day.