Pork and fennel casserole
Member recipe by plarsen
Unwind with a Mediterranean-flavoured casserole of pork, chorizo and fennel.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1kg/2lbs 2oz pork shoulder, cut into large cubes
- 200g/7oz chorizo, cut into chunks
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, finely sliced
- 250ml/9fl oz chicken stock
- 2 lemons, zest and juice
- 1 x 400g/14oz can chickpeas
- 100g/3½oz large pitted green olives
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1.Heat two tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan and fry the pork shoulder until golden-brown on all sides. Remove the pork from the pan and set aside.
- 2.Add the chorizo to the pan and fry until crisp around the edges, remove from the pan and set aside.
- 3.Reduce the heat to medium and fry the onion and fennel for five minutes, or until softened.
- 4.Return the pork and chorizo to the pan, then pour over the stock, add the lemon juice and zest, cover and cook slowly on a low heat for two hours, or until the pork is very tender.
- 5.Add the chickpeas and olives and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- 6.Stir in the parsley and serve.