Cranks Cheese Scones
Member recipe by ellacd
- 500g / 1 lb wholemeal flour, sifted
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- large pinch of salt
- large pinch of cayenne pepper
- 50 g / 2 oz butter
- 250 g / 8 oz Cheddar cheese, grated
- 300 ml / 10 fl oz milk
- Preheat the oven to 200 deg C / 400 deg F / gas 6.
- Put the flour, baking powder, salt and cayenne pepper in a bowl.
- Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Stir in most of the cheese and sufficient milk to obtain a soft, easy-to-handle dough.
- Knead gently, then roll out on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of 2.5 cm / 1 in. Stamp out 7.5 cm / 3 in rounds with a fluted cutter and place on a lightly greased baking tray.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes until golden.
- Cool on a wire tray and eat as soon as possible.