- SERVES 8
- For the pie crust:
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 10-oz. package of digestive biscuits, such as McVities brand
- For the filling:
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) packed dark brown sugar
- 1 14-oz. can condensed milk, such as Carnation brand
- 4 bananas
- 1 pint heavy cream
- Grated chocolate
- 1. Make the crumb crust: Crush the digestive biscuits in a food processor until you get a fine crumb texture. Transfer to a bowl and stir in melted butter. Press into a 9"-diameter tart base with a removable bottom. Press the mixture up the sides of the tart form with the back of a spoon. Chill the crust in refrigerator for at least one hour.
- 2. Make the toffee: Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Stir in the brown sugar and melt over low heat. Add the condensed milk and bring the mixture to a boil for a few minutes, stirring continuously. The toffee should darken slightly. Pour the filling into the crust. Cool and chill again for at least one hour until the caramel is firm.
- 3. To serve, remove the tart from the pan and carefully transfer to a serving plate. Slice the bananas and place them in a single layer on top of the caramel. Whip the cream and spoon it over the toffee and bananas, sealing the filling in. Sprinkle the top of the pie with grated chocolate.