Sugar Plum Muffins
Member recipe by rhudson
ServingsServes 1 - 12 Muffins
Seasonal, fruity muffins enriched with a sweety-shop candied taste
- 140g Caster Sugar
- 100g Butter
- 1 Large Egg
- 8 - 10 Fresh Plums (peeled, stoned and cubed - slightly under ripe are better)
- 3 tbsp Golden Syrup
- 225g Self Raising Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- Pinch of Salt
- Place the plums into a saucepan with the golden syrup. Bring to the boil and then stew and simmer until the plums are deliciously soft but still holding some shape. Reserve to cool.
- Set the oven to 180C/fan. Line a deep muffin pan with 12 cases.
- Place the butter and sugar in a large bowl and using either a wooden spoon or hand-held electric mixer, cream together until fluffy. Add the egg and beat the mixture (adding a little flour if it curdles) to blend. Stir in the cooled plums and all the syrup liquid. Place the flour, ginger, baking powder and salt together in a sieve and shake into the mix. Mix well and divide between the 12 muffin cases. Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the cooked muffins from the pan after 5 minutes and cool on a wire rack. When almost completely cooled, sieve a good dousing of icing sugar over the muffins (or top with sugar crystals if you prefer) and serve.