Chicken & Bacon Risotto
Member recipe by nswinburne
- 100g bacon
- 100g chicken (or left over chicken)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 500ml chicken stock, more or less. Use the best you can get because itÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂs important in this dish. If you have home-made chicken stock, this is the perfect way of using it.
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 150g risotto rice
- 100ml white wine
- Frozen peas, however much you like
- Parmesan, grated
- Olive oil
- Pour the stock into a saucepan and heat until just about simmering. Leave it on a low heat throughout the cooking.
- Heat the olive oil in a deep frying pan and gently fry the bacon and chicken. When the chicken is mostly cooked remove it from the pan.
- Add a little more olive oil to the pan and begin frying the onion gently. When the onion has softened nicely add the garlic for about a minute. After a minute add another drop of olive oil and a small knob of butter.
- When the butter has melted put the rice in and stir it around to coat it with oil and butter and cook for about 30 seconds. Pour in the white wine and stir.
- When the wine had reduced to almost nothing begin the add the stock, one ladle-full at a time. Once all of your stock is in, leave to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Now add Rosemary, Thyme, Chicken and Bacon. Stir through evenly and allow the stock to reduce. If you need it, add a small amount of water. When the rice is cooked to your taste, add the peas for about 2-3 minutes and turn the heat down. Use as many peas as you would like to eat. Turn the heat off completely and add the grated parmesan and stir it in.