simple potato heaven
Member recipe by crassnsilly
- 1 potato, sliced into 10mm slices
- half an onion
- 2 or 3 cloves garlic
- oil for frying
- You will need a large frying pan with a lid. If you don't have one, go and buy one - it will serve you well for a long time.
- Wash and slice the potato without peeling, then slice the onion. Snip the ends from the garlic cloves, then crush them slightly under the flat of your knife. This way, the cloves will slip easily from their skins. Chop the garlic cloves.
- Get the oil moderately hot, then add potato and onion. If your garlic is dry, you can add it now. If it is fresh and wet, add it later.
- Toss the potato and onion around until it is browning a bit, then turn the heat right down, add the garlic if you haven't already, and put on the lid. This will allow the potatoes and onion to steam as well as fry.
- Keep turning the potato and onion then replacing the lid. After five minutes or so, the tip of your knife should slide easily into the potato, the onion will be soft and the garlic slightly brown. There should be dark brown, sticky bits of garlic stuck to the potatoes.