Upsidedown custard cake
Member recipe by beppie1
A winner with the Kids and parents too! Perfect for "friend coming to tea" occasions:)
- For the Sponge:
- 9oz butter
- 9oz icing sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 9oz self raising flour
- Half tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence, or almond if you would prefer.
- For the Custard:
- 4-5 cups milk (depending on the size of your tin)
- 3-31/2 tbsp custard powder
- 3- 4 tbsp sugar or to taste
- half tsp vanilla essence
- 2-3 tbsp jam of your choice
- Large heavy bottomed tin or high sided roasting or casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 180c/350f/ gas mark 4
- Whisk together custard powder and milk along with sugar and vanilla essence then heat on medium heat until thickened to desired consistency, when this has been done set aside to cool stirring occasionally to prevent skin forming.
- Cream icing sugar and butter together on highest setting until light and fluffy; add egg in two stages beating well after each addition. Now mix in vanilla (or almond) essence.
- Mix in flour with a wooden spoon ensuring it is mixed thoroughly
- Pour half of the custard into the bottom of the tin.
- With a small spoon, spoon the cake mix into the custard. Make sure you spoon in a ring round the edge so the mix doesn't push the custard to the top. When you've built up a few inches gradually close in over the top.
- When all the cake mix is used up, pour the remaining custard over the top and place in the middle of the preheated oven.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until well risen or until a knife comes out clean, Serve immediately (with jam if using)