- 800g Bramley apples, peeled, cored and sliced
A large, flattish cooking apple, green in appearance but sometimes with specks of red. The flesh…
- 200ml unsweetened apple and mango pure fruit juice
- 1 piece stem ginger in syrup, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp syrup from the jar of stem ginger
For the topping
- 100g plain wholemeal flour
- 85g Olivio or Carapelli olive oil spread (59% vegetable fat), chilled
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It's…
- 100g wholewheat muesli with no added salt or sugar
- 3 tbsp light muscovado sugar
- 25g sunflower seeds
- reduced fat Greek yogurt or low fat natural yogurt
Want to see what this recipe costs at different supermarkets? Compare in one place here:
Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5/fan 170C. Put the apples in a 1.5 litre pie dish. Pour over the fruit juice, then add the ginger, and 1 tbsp of its syrup and stir together.
Make the topping. Tip the flour into a large bowl. Add the fat and cut into small pieces using a round-bladed knife, so that it is evenly distributed through the flour. Stir in the muesli, sugar and sunflower seeds, then scatter evenly over the apples to cover them.
Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden and crunchy on top. Leave to cool slightly for 5-10 minutes before serving with reduced fat Greek yogurt or low-fat natural yogurt.
Making it vegan
Serve with your favourite vegan brand of yogurt.