Stuffed Pork Tenderloin
Member recipe by strangeinplaces
Stuffed Pork Tenderloin with lemon mushroom stuffing and creamy mushroom sauce.
- For the pork:
- 400g tenderloin of pork
- 6-8 rashers good quality streaky bacon
- For the stuffing
- breadcrumbs from 4 slices white bread
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- about 5 sage leaves, chopped
- 60g butter
- 1 tbsp sunflower or other cooking oil (not olive)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- zest of 1/4 lemon
- For the creamy mushroom sauce:
- 200g mushrooms, finely sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- a few black peppercorns
- 1 tsp english mustard
- 1 dessert spoon vegetable or sunflower oil
- 20g butter
- 250ml white wine
- 100ml vegetable stock
- 150ml double cream
- First, make the stuffing. Melt the butter with the oil in a large non-stick frying pan on medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally - until the onions are translucent and soft. Add the sage, thyme, lemon juice and lemon zest and stir.
- Turn the heat down a little and gradually add the breadcrumbs, stirring continuously so they absorb the butter and bulk up the mixture. If the breadcrumbs are too dry and there is no more butter to absorb, add a little more butter and melt it in. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and allow to cool.
- Cut a slit about 3/4 of the way into the pork loins, along their full length. Flatten out in order to fill this pocket with the stuffing
- Position the rashers of bacon side-by-side on a lightly greased large baking tray. The idea is that the bacon should be the length of the loin, so 6-8 depending on the sizes. Place the slit tenderloin on top of them. Fill the pocket with the stuffing mixture.
- Close up the loin bit by bit by stretching the bacon and using it to seal up the pork. Try and get the join underneath the loin to keep it closed. Do this all the way along until the pork is wrapped up like a big parcel
- Roast in a preheated oven at 200 degrees for 20-25 minutes, turning over halfway through. The bacon should be just crispy. Leave to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- For the sauce: Heat the oil and butter in a pan and sautee the mushrooms for about 5 minutes
- Add the white wine, bay leaf & peppercorns and boil rapidly to reduce by half .Add the vegetable stock and cook for a further 5 minutes on a medium heat.
- Stir in the mustard and then the cream. Season well. Simmer gently for 5 minutes. Serve the sauce around the pork