Rhubarb and Orange Jellies
Member recipe by debsywebsydoodah
- 500g Rhubarb
- 400ml orange juice/water *
- 100g sugar
- sheet gelatine
- * You can vary the proportion of orange juice to water depending on preference. I generally do 300ml orange 100ml water or you could add a splash of cointreau. Just make sure that the liquid is no more than 400ml all together
- Chop the rhubarb and place in a pan with the liquid. Bring to a simmer and poach with lid on for about 20 minutes or until rhubarb is soft and starting to fall apart. Set a seive over a measuring jug and pour the rhubarb through the seive to collect the juice.
- Measure the juice. I find that this quantity usually gives me 3/4 pint of juice. read the instructions on the pack of the gelatine. The gelatine I use needs 3 sheets to set this quantity of juice. Soak the gelatine in cold water to soften.
- While the rhubarb liquid is still fairly hot, drain the gelatine and add to the rhubarb. Stir until melted and combined.
- Pour into glasses and leave to set. I use little shot glasses to make about 10 little jellies for tea parties.
- The pulp left in the seive is excellent for making into rhubarb crumble. I like to make little ones in ramekins to serve alongside the jellies and rhubarb ripple ice cream as part of a rhubarb assiette.