Best Chilli Con Carne
Member recipe by nikki18
- 500g lean minced beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, stalk removed
- 1 pepper, green or red, chopped
- 1 red chilli, chopped, seeds removed
- 1 tin of red kidney beans, strained
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp hot chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 stock cubes, beef or vegetable
- 1/4 tube of tomato puree
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 2 tsp water
- Brown off the mince, strain to remove all the excess. Add the chopped onions and the stock cubes on a medium heat and stir. Add in the crushed garlic, the chopped chilli, the tomato puree, the kidney beans, the chopped tomatoes and leave to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the chilli powder, the cumin and the salt and leave again to simmer for around 45 minutes on a low heat stirring occasionally.
- After 45 minutes, add in the chopped pepper, if serving with rice now is the best time to start cooking it. Simmer for 15 minutes on low heat stirring occasionally.
- After 15 minutes, if the chilli is watery then add a cornflour-water mixture to thicken it up.
- Plate up and enjoy!