Mixed Fish and Veg Tempura
Member recipe by asizs3000
- 1 Sliced Onion (Onion rings)
- 1 Green pepper cut into thin wedges
- 2 Sliced large spring onions
- 2 small sea bass fillets
- 1 smoked haddock fillet
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Stir fry or sunflower oil for frying
- For the fish
- 1/2 tsp Crushed coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp Fish seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- For the batter
- 200g plain flour
- 150ml ice cold soda /perrier water
- 1 egg
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1tsp chilli flakes
- Slice / cut the fish into equally sized bite-size chunks and add the dry seasoning for the fish. Place in the fridge.
- Slice the vegetables, add black pepper and cumin if you like and stir.
- Heat the oil in a large wok, test the oil with a piece of onion.
- For the batter mix the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients separately then add together and whisk.
- Remove fish from the fridge and dip into the batter, shake off the excess and plunge carefully into the oil. Fry for 2 minutes until golden brown. Do not crowd the wok.
- Continue with the batch of fish and vegetables apart from the spring onion. Keep cooked fish and veg warm in the oven.
- Finally when all fish and veg has been cooked add the spring onion to the oil and fry until crisp. Drain well, add tempura fish and veg to a large bowl, add salt and crisp spring onions and stir.
- Plate and serve.