Vegetarian Penne alla Vodka
Member recipe by kaw915
- olive oil (enough to coat large saucepan)
- 2 medium size sweet onions
- 6-8 gloves garlic (adjust to taste)
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes
- 225 ml vodka
- 100 ml heavy cream
- 225 ml thick pasta sauce
- 1 box penne pasta
- thick sliced bread to serve
- Roughly dice onion and garlic, set aside. Roughly dice tomatoes. Do not deseed. Set aside.
- Fill a large pot three quarters of the way with water. Add 1 tsp salt, bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the penne to the water and cook according to the packaging, usually 9 to 11 minutes.
- While waiting for the water to boil, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan for 1-2 minutes. Add garlic and onions. Heat over medium heat 5-8 minutes until slightly softened, stirring frequently.
- Add tomatoes to saucepan, cook 5 more minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add vodka to the saucepan and reduce for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Slowly stir in heavy cream and pasta sauce. Heat through.
- Serve over the cooked penne with sliced bread.