Member recipe by sweetlollipop
- For the filling:
- 450g/1lb fresh stoned cherries
- 2 level tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp kirsch (or red wine)
- 2 tbsp ground biscuit crumbs (digestive biscuits)
- For the batter:
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 85g/3oz sugar
- 30g/1oz cornflour
- 250g/9oz double cream
- Preheat oven to 220C/425F/Gas7.
- Combine the cherries, sugar and kirsch. Place in an ovenproof dish and put in the oven for 5 minutes until the cherries are hot. Drain the cherries, saving the juices, and cool.
- Reduce the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- For the batter, whisk the eggs and egg yolks until light and frothy, add the sugar and whisk until well blended. Add the cornflour and double cream, and then set aside to rest.
- Mix the cherries with the biscuit crumbs, sprinkle into the ovenproof dish and then pour over the batter. Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden and firm.
- Leave to cool to room temperature, dust with caster sugar and serve with crÃÂ¨me fraÃÂ®che flavoured with cherry juice or a good vanilla ice cream.
- Tip: Add the cherry juice to good red wine vinegar for a superb cherry vinegar. Biscuit crumbs absorb any excess cherry juice which stops the final dish being soggy. Batter can be made up to 2 hours before - just give it another good whisk before use.