Member recipe by phoebelightfoot
A delicious and simple bread recipe, using cheese, bacon & poppy seeds.
- 250g strong flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 sachet dried yeast
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 150ml warm water
- 70g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 rashers smoked bacon, chopped
- 3 tbsp poppy seeds
- 5ml milk
- Prehaeat the oven to 200 degrees. Put the flour, salt, yeast and sunflower oil in a bowl and mix rapidly with a fork.
- Add the warm water to the mixture and continue to mix until a soft but not sticky dough is made.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead with your hands thoroughly for roughly 10 minutes. If the dough is very sticky add a small amount of flour to the dough.
- Once thoroughly kneaded, the dough should feel soft and smooth, place in a large plastic bag and store in a warm spot until the dough has doubled in size, this will take roughly an hour.
- After the proving has finished, remove the dough from the plastic bag onto a lightly floured surface and knead for one minute.
- Roll the dough out into a wide flat shape. In the middle sprinkle the cheese and add the bacon. Roll the dough up into a flat ciabatta shape.
- Using a pastry brush glaze the top of the dough with some milk. Then sprinklle with a few tbsp of poppy seeds.
- Place the dough on a baking tray and leave to prove for about 50 minutes.
- Once finished proving, place the dough into the oven and bake for 12 - 15 minutes. At the end, to test whether it has finished cooking, tap the bottom of the bread and if it sounds hollow that means its finished.
- Leave to cool for about 40 minutes then it is ready to eat.