Tangy and cheesy rainbow chard
Member recipe by annalhelm
An impressive vegetable side dish or great on its own topped with a poached egg.
- 300g Chard (Rainbow or Swiss)
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and very finely sliced into slithers
- 1 birds eye chili (optional) sliced very thinly, with seeds if you like it very hot
- 2 large anchovies
- 1/2 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 heaping tbsp drained capers
- Poached egg, to serve (optional)
- Prepare the chard, first by washing it really well in cold water. Drain, chop nasty bits of stalk off and then chop the remaining stalks into roughly 1 inch peices. Cut the leaves into roughly 1 inch strips (keeping separate from the stalks).
- Heat the oil in a large sautÃÂ© pan over a medium heat and add the garlic and chili to the pan. Toss until golden brown, which will take about 30 odd seconds. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Add the anchovies to the pan, and stand back as they will start to splutter. Break up with a wooden spoon and if you need to add a splash of water to stop from sticking. Once they are mostly disolved (about a minute) add the chopped stalks to the pan. Cook over a medium-high heat for 5 minutes, tossing/stirring from time to time and adding a tablespoon of water if necessary to stop sticking.
- After five minutes, add the reserved leaves to the pan, turning so that they can wilt evenly. Cook for a further 8 minutes, continuing to toss and stir until they are fully wilted and some of the stalk ends are going golden.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the garlic, chili and remaining ingredients to the pan, tossing to combine evenly and tasting before adding freshly ground black pepper and sea salt to taste. For a complete meal serve topped with a poached or fried egg.