Ginger and Sweet Chilli Ham
Member recipe by laura_abbott01
- 1kg Gammon Ham joint (unsmoked preferably)
- 1l Ginger Ale
- 1 large Onion
- 1 Orange
- 1/2 Star Anise
- Sweet Chilli dipping sauce
- 1 Red Chilli
- 1 Green Chilli
- Peel and slice the onion into 4 quarters and put in a large pan or oven dish large enough to take the ham.
- Using a vegetable peeler, slice the peel off the orange and add to the pan along with the star anise.
- Place the ham on top of the ingredients and pour over the ginger ale.
- Bring to the boil then simmer on a low heat for 3-3.5 hours.
- Whilst the ham is cooking chop the red and green chillies into small pieces.
- Remove the ham from liquid and drain for a few minutes allowing to cool before cutting any skin off but leaving a thin layer of fat.
- Score the fat with a knife and smother the ham in the sweet chilli sauce and sprinkle with the chopped chillies.
- Cook in the oven for about 45 minutes at gas mark 6 / 200 degrees Celcius / 400 degrees Farenheit.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest before carving.