Spicy Mango Chutney
Member recipe by zetallgerman
ServingsServes 1 - 4 Jars
Chutneys are not only for Xmas! This is great eaten with cheese & oat cakes, or together with a spicy fish dish and rice. And best of all: chutneys are a great gift for friends and family.
- 5-6 large ripe mangoes (ca. 1.5kg)
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- a large piece fresh root ginger, grated
- 1 large whole lemon (flesh and juice)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp black onion seeds (Nigella seeds or even mustard seeds)
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 large red chili, finely sliced (or 1 1/2 tsp chili powder)
- 375ml white wine vinegar
- 400g caster sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Wash and sterilize your jam jars.
- Heat the oil in a large deep pot, add the onion and fry for a few minutes until soft. Stir in the ginger and cook, stirring frequently, for about 8-10min until the onion is golden.
- Add all of the spices, except the turmeric, and fry until toasted.
- Stir in the turmeric and chili, add the lemon and the mango and pour in 500ml water and the vinegar, sugar and salt, then cover and cook for 30min.
- Stir the mix, take off the lid and leave to simmer uncovered for 30min (it may take longer depending on how much moisture was in your mangoes), keep stirring frequently until the chutney is thick and set. Spoon into your jars and enjoy!