Double Coffee Cream
Member recipe by tartanjuda
No oven needed. Just minimum use of gelatin keeps it absolutely creamy! Sweet and slightly bitter taste.
- 250ml double cream
- 200ml milk
- 1/2 vanilla pod
- 3 tbsp instant coffee
- 3g gelatin, soaked in 3 tbsp water (This is minimum gelatin to settle, if you like more set, add up to 5g)
- 4 egg yolks
- 50g granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp dark rum
- (For the topping cream)
- 100ml whipping cream
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- (For the coffee sauce)
- 1 tbsp instant coffee or espresso
- 1 tbsp hot water
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey (I used Scottish blossom honey)
- 2 tbsp dark rum
- Pour the double cream and the milk into a sauce pan. Slit the vanilla pod lengthways, add into the pan and bring to approx 50C. Never let it boil or form a skin on the milk. Remove from the heat, add the instant coffee and prepared gelatin, and stir until they dissolve completely. Set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks, sugar and rum together in a bowl, then pour the milk mixture over them, whisking.
- Strain the egg mixture once, and then divide evenly between the serving dishes. Cool a little, then chill in the fridge for 24 hours.
- To make the coffee sauce, mix all the ingredients well together and chill in the fridge. Together with whipped cream, pour it over the coffee cream just before serve ---- Heaven!!!