Member recipe by maasorokina
Gorgeous New Zealand meringue cake. The recipe adapted from Le Cordon Bleu Dessert Techniques.
- 6 egg whites
- 350 gr icing sugar
- 2 tea spoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tea spoons of starch
- 500 ml double cream
- vanilla sugar or vanilla extract
- pomegranate (or other fruits and berries of your choice)
- In a large, clean and dry bowl beat the egg whites with a tiny pinch of salt till they turn into thick white foam. Gradually add the sugar in two or three steps while continuing to beat. Beat till the sugar is absorbed and the meringue is glossy and holds shape well.
- Cover a baking sheet with baking paper. Place the meringue on the sheet and give it a round shape (some 5-6 cm thick).
- Bake at 150C for 1 hour. Switch off the oven and leave the meringue inside till completely cool. Then transfer to a serving dish.
- Whip the cream with vanilla till it hold soft peaks. Up to 1 hour before serving fill the Pavlova with whipped cream and sprinkle with pomegranate arils.