Cheese and bacon quiche
Member recipe by shellminster
Delicious as a cold lunch with a side salad or warm with garlic bread or homemade soup
- For the shortcrust pastry
- 220g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 110g chilled pastry butter, cubed
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2-3 tbsp water
- For the filling
- 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 200g bacon lardons or chopped streaky bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp italian herbs
- 325ml light single cream
- 3 medium eggs
- 170g gruyere cheese
- freshly ground black pepper
- place flour into a bowl and stir in the salt, rub in the butter quickly until it resembles breadcrumbs, then using a metal knife stir in the egg yolk and water to form a dough. wrap in cling film and chill for 30-45minutes.
- pre-heat oven to 200C/gas 6, roll out the pastry and line a lightly greased 23cm/9in loose bottomed quiche tin. trim the edges leaving a slight overlap and line the case with parchment/greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans, chill for 10minutes then bake blind for 12-15minutes.
- Meanwhile, fry the bacon in a little oil until crisp, add the onions to the pan and fry gently until soft but not brown, about 8-10mins. Add the herbs and stir through, drain off the fat and set aside using a little kitchen paper to soak up any more excess fat.
- remove pastry case from the oven and cool slightly for 5 mins, then remove the bsking beans and paper, pierce the base all over with a fork and brush with the dijon mustard. bake for a further 6 mins. Remove the case from the oven and turn the oven down to 180C/gas 4. When cool enough, trim the edges with a knife.
- Beat the cream with the eggs and season with plently of pepper. Sprinkle the onions and bacon onto the pastry case, then the cheese and pour over the cream and egg mixture. Bake in the centre of the oven for 40 mins or until cooked through and brown.