Member recipe by laugh_producer
My twist on the Good Housekeeping recipe of this Italian classic. Use Grappa or even Tia Maria if you can't find Marsala wine.
- 200g Mascarpone
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways
- 250ml warm, strong black coffee
- 4 medium free range egg yolks
- 75g golden caster sugar
- 284ml double cream
- 100ml Marsala wine plus a little more for sprinkling on biscuits
- 200g savoiardi biscuits (sponge fingers can be used)
- Cocoa powder to dust
- Quality dark chocolate to decorate
- Fold the mascarpone into a bowl with the seeds from the vanilla pod.
- In a separate wide, shallow dish pour the coffee over the empty vanilla pod and leave to infuse.
- In a large bowl whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until pale and thick, then whisk in the mascarpone until smooth.
- Whip the cream in another bowl until it forms stiff peaks then fold in the mascarpone mixture and the Marsala wine.
- Chill the mascarpone cream mixture for an hour or so until it firms up a little.
- Take half of the savoiardi biscuits and dip them one at a time into the coffee and arrange over the base off a 2.4 litre (4 pint) shallow dish and sprinkle with a little more Marsala wine. Spread a layer of the mascarpone mixture on the top. (At this stage I find it helpful to chill again to avoid the finished desert being too runny). Add another layer of coffee soaked biscuits and sprinkle with more Marsala.
- Finish with a top layer of mascarpone. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours.
- To serve dust with cocoa and shaved plain chocolate. Cut with a sharp knife and use a spatula to lift onto plates. Alternatively make individual portions in glass bowls or ramekins.