South Indian Tamarind Rice
Member recipe by keertim
This recipe is a traditional South Indian one. A family recipe, this is handed down from Mother to Daughter, or even better, from Mother-in-law to Daughter-in-law. I learnt this one from my Mother-in-law. This is a perfect recipe for festivals and even ordinary days. A tangy, spicy mixture of various Indian spices or Masalas!
- Tamarind pulp - made from 100-150 g of tamarind
- Curry leaves - of two stalks
- Finely chopped ginger - a 2 inch ginger finely chopped
- Red chillies - 5-6
- green chillies - 5-6
- mustard seeds - 1 tspn
- toor dal - 1/4 tspn
- halved chickpeas (processed) - 1/4 tspn
- cumin seeds - 1 tspn
- powder made out of roasted sesame seeds - 1 and a 1/2 tspns
- peanuts - 1/2 cup (unsalted)
- vegetable oil - 2 tbspns
- turmeric powder - 1/2 tspn
- Steamed Rice - 2 cups
- In a pan, heat the oil and add the mustard seeds and the pulses. After the mustard seeds start spluttering, add the red chillies and let them cook for around half a min.
- Now add the cumin seeds green chillies and the curry leaves. Let them splutter a little.
- Add the chopped garlic, and after about a min, add the peanuts.
- Now cook this mixture for about 3 min till all the peanuts get toasted.
- Add the tamarind paste and cook for another 3 min, till all the water evaporates.
- At this point add the turmeric and salt and let it cook for another 3 min.
- Add the steamed rice and mix well till all the rice is coated with the mixture.
- Now add the sesame seed powder and mix well.
- Remove from heat, serve hot with fried potato fingers or chips.