Member recipe by jul34es
- 125g golden syrup
- 125g black treacle
- 250g self raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 21/2 tsp ground ginger
- 300ml milk
- 125g dark muscavado sugar
- 1 egg,beaten
- grease and line a 3lb loaf tin with grease proof paper.
- gently heat the syrup and black treacle together in a small pan,then leave to cool slightly.
- sift the flour,bicarbonate and spices into a bowl.
- heat the milk with the sugar,stirring occasionally,until the sugar has dissolved completely.
- pour the milk and sugar mixture into the dry ingredients followed by the syrups and the egg-beat well to mix together then pour the batter into the prepared tin.
- bake for 45-50 minutes in the centre of the oven,until a skewer comes out clean.
- leave to cool slightly in the tin before turning out and cooling on a rack.
- wrap in greaseproof paper and then foil -this bread is better on the second and third days and lasts for five.
- pre-heat oven to 180c/gas 4.if using fan oven check after 35 minutes. also i couldn,t get hold of a 3lb loaf tin so i used a 2lb and a 1lb.