- 1¼kg mix of tomato, use different varieties and colours, at room temperature
A member of the nightshade family (along with aubergines, peppers and chillies), tomatoes are in…
- ½ red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1½ tsp caster sugar
- small bunch parsley, roughly chopped
One of the most ubiquitous herbs in British cookery, parsley is also popular in European and…
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus a little extra for drizzling
- 1 small garlic clove
- 50g toasted flaked almond
- 6 slices Iberico or Serrano ham
- 75g manchego cheese, shaved
Manchego is a popular, rich, creamy sheep's milk cheese that comes from the La Mancha region…
Slice the tomatoes and arrange on a large platter with the onion. Sprinkle with a good pinch of salt and ½ tsp of the sugar. Leave to stand for 10 mins or up to 30 mins while you make the dressing.
Tip the parsley, vinegar, olive oil, remaining sugar, garlic, half the almonds and a good pinch of salt into the small bowl of a food processor. Blitz to a pesto consistency, adding a dribble of water if you need to loosen it a little.
Weave the slices of ham between the tomatoes and onion, creating a little height on the plate. Drizzle over the dressing, scatter with the remaining almonds and shavings of manchego. Drizzle over a little extra oil and serve.