Have fun making these simple reindeer hot chocolate cones, filled with sweet festive goodies and decorated to look like Rudolph. They’re easy enough for the kids to make themselves, and use storecupboard ingredients with just a handful of crafty bits and pieces. Give them as a gift and your recipient can turn them into a comforting mug of hot chocolate. The cellophane piping bags can be found in the baking aisle or in craft supply stores – just be sure to wash and re-use them afterwards.
Makes 1 hot chocolate cone (serves 4)
You will need
Small transparent piping bag
300g cocoa or drinking chocolate
50g milk chocolate chips
85g mini white marshmallows
Small elastic band or clear hair tie
Brown pipe cleaner
1. Open up the piping bag and carefully, using a large spoon, place the cocoa inside the bag until about two-thirds full. Be careful not to let too much cocoa touch the top of the bag.
2. Next, add a layer of milk chocolate chips then a layer of mini marshmallows on top. Twist the bag to close and seal with an elastic band
3. Wrap the pipe cleaner around the top of the bag to secure, then shape the ends into antlers.
4. Glue on two googly eyes in the centre and a red pom-pom on the end for the nose. Allow these to dry, then you’re ready to give your hot chocolate cones as presents.
• To make hot chocolate for 4 people, untie the bag and divide the marshmallows and chocolate drops between four mugs. Spoon in the cocoa powder. Heat approximately 1 litre of milk, then slowly mix the warm milk into the cocoa. Top with extra marshmallows.
• You can re-use the cellophane piping bags. Simply wash them out once you’ve used the filling, allow to dry and use them again.
• Customise your hot chocolate cones by adding ribbon and writing a tag for the recipient, if giving as a gift.
Let us know in the comments below what you think of our reindeer hot chocolate cones!