Points to remember
- Remove the meat from the roasting pan
- Fry some finely chopped vegetables, such as carrots, onions and celery, in the base of the pan on a high heat, until caramelised.
- Add flour and stir until light brown
- Add a little wine and let it reduce
- Gradually pour in enough stock to make the gravy as thick or thin as you like, stirring all the time - as a guide, 1 pint to 1 rounded tablespoon of flour should produce a good consistency.
- Let the mixture simmer for a few minutes, you can also add an optional splash of soy sauce or balsamic vinegar to make the gravy browner. Herbs such as bay leaves or thyme can be added for additional flavour.
- Strain the mixture into a jug, pressing down on the veg with a spoon to release all the juices. You now have a jug of gravy.